Saturday, March 29, 2008

Are You Crazy?

I must admit, I am not much of a contemporary Christian music fan. There are a many songs (and artists) out there that have been labeled as "Christian"...but in reality the message they deliver is far from biblical. But I suppose that that is a blog for another day.

On my way to the airport last week I decided to switch things up a bit and not follow my daily routine of listening to the Way of the Master Radio podcast and/or 10:31 Sermon Jams. Instead, I dialed up a playlist I have not listened to in quite some time. This playlist is made up of a select few of my favorite praise and worship songs has been on my iPhone for quite some time. I call it "Fire Me Up". Quite a while back I added a song called "Crazy" by Mercy Me to this prestigious list and it never sounded as clear to me as it did in my truck last week. If you haven't heard it before, the opening verse goes like this:


"Why would I spend my life longing, for the day it would end?
Why would I spend my time pointing, to another man?
Isn't that crazy?
How can I find hope in dying, with promises unseen?
How can I learn your ways better, and everything I'm taught to be?
Isn't that crazy?
I have not been called to the wisdom of this world, but to a God who is calling out to me.
And even though the world may think I'm losing touch with reality,
it would be crazy to choose this world over eternity."

Wow. Those are some pretty powerful lyrics, aren't they? In the eyes of the world, WE ARE CRAZY for believing what we do. But it is easy to say "The World" thinks we're crazy, isn't it? That is so impersonal and so void of responsibility. So let's take a different look at it...a real look.

Does anyone (or everyone) we know who is not a Christian think we're crazy? Do they see daily examples of our living not for the things of the word, but rather our longing for Christ? Shouldn't everything we stand for as Christians be in stark contrast to the things of the world? Shouldn't there be some evidence that we reject the things of the world? : (1 John 15-17)

"Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever."

I think that if we each take a real look at our lives we will find we do so much in our attempt to be relevant and fit into a world from which we should be striving to separate. Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that we should do things so that others will know that Jesus is our Lord and Savior. I'm simply saying that if Jesus is truly our Lord and Savior the world should know we do not love it or anything in it.

-W.S.

1 comment:

GiBee said...

What? That's just crazy!

Bwahahaha -- ummmm -- never mind.

A friend of mine was blogging about a new quote she loves... here's how it goes:

"Live in such a way that those who know you but don’t know God will come to know God because they know you."

Isn't that awesome?