Thursday, March 6, 2008

What does it mean?

In my time as a Christian I have heard many people talk about what it means to be saved. I have heard extremes from some speaking of a "warmth" they felt in their entire body when they gave their life to the Lord, and I've heard some say that they really couldn't actually remember when they got saved. But is getting saved really a feeling?

I don't believe that it is, and scripture doesn't think that is either. (1John 1:5-7)

"This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin."

I came across the message below which was delivered by John Piper and really hit home with me:



Getting saved isn't about a feeling at all, it is about a commitment. It's about "walking in the light" Despite what many out there preach on T.V., it isn't about your best life now...it's about your best life for eternity. I have thought about this a lot lately, don't you think that if we truly have given our lives to the Lord, it should feel like that every minute of every day? Every minute.

As John Piper asked in his final line in the video above, "Has He become the light that is the joy of all your joys?" Well, has He?
-W.S.

2 comments:

GiBee said...

Man! Why'd he have to go and mention fishing?

He IS the light that is the joy of all my joys! After all, without Him, I would BE nothing, and I would HAVE nothing!

By the way, I just added you to my fav links... and with your name starting with a "W" -- your the very last one... but you know how the saying goes... the first shall be last and the last shall be first!

Wretched Sinner said...

@Gibee Re: Fishing
Yeah, tell me about it. ;)