Tuesday, September 16, 2008

"You're in my thoughts.." - So?


I was having a conversation at breakfast with friend this AM, we'll call him "Rudy".  Well, "Rudy" and I were talking about a mutual friend who is going through some tough medical struggles now and our waitress overheard us.  She gave us a quick update on his condition and his treatmen schedule and ended the conversation by saying "..Yeah, our thoughts are with him".

That got me to thinking.  Is someone actually supposed to draw comfort or peace from that?  When we were going through our struggles with Super George (his birth, heart defect, & surgery), people would always tell me that their "thoughts" were with us.  I'll tell you what, it didn't make me feel any better at all.  Don't get me wrong, it is a nice feeling to be thought of...but what really made me feel better was knowing people were praying that whatever the outcome that we would praise the Lord and He would be glorified.

Next time you decide to send your thoughts to someone, just send flowers.  They are prettier anyway.

Or, you could always tell them that you are praying that Lord will use the situation for His glory.....but you already are doing that, right?
-W.S. 


No comments: