Friday, October 31, 2008

Meet Super George: 1 in 4000? Or 1 in 44,444?


Meet "Super" George. He is 3 years old and he has Down Syndrome (D.S.) He is not alone, every year ~4,000 children are born with Down Syndrome [1]. But then again, he is more alone then he should be.

According to a report[2] from 2002, 91%-93% of pregnancies in the United States with a diagnosis of Down syndrome were terminated. By terminated, I mean the baby was killed.

For some reason I have a hard time visualizing percentages, and understanding what those numbers actually represent...so let's do some quick math to help both of us. Please understand that my calculations are not concrete, they are simply provided as a illustration. Here are the two sets of stats we are going to use as our basis:
  • 4,000 children born each with D.S.
  • 9% of children diagnosed with D.S. live long enough to be born without someone killing them (100%-[the 91% that are "terminated"] ).
Here's our equation:
(children born) = (9%) x (# of children diagnosed with D.S.)

Let's sub in our numbers:
(4,000) = (.09)x

Now, we solve for "x":
(4,000)/(.09)=x
44,444.44 = x

So based on the above numbers 44,444 children are diagnosed with D.S. each year and if 91% of those children are "aborted" (y) we get:
y= (44,444)*(.91)
y=40,444

Summary: Over 40,000 children are murdered every year just b/c they have D.S.

Now I have to let you in on a little secret. Super George is not just some random little kid I found on the Internet to use as an example. He is my son.

Some of you who read this blog know me personally, and know George as well. You know that indeed he is special. He has that "something" that few people on this planet possess. He has the ability to light up a room with his smile alone and always seems to know just when to give you a hug or a smile that just makes you melt. All of our children are a gift from God, but George is different and it doesn't have anything to do with D.S. No matter what challenge he has faced in his brief life (aheart defect, open heart surgery, 3x week physical/occupational therapy) he just keeps smiling as he goes.

When I stumbled upon these stats the other day I could not help but think of George. However, my attention immediately turned to the election, and what could happen if (and possibly when) a pro-abortion candidate is elected. I don't know who is going to win, and frankly I only pray that the Lord's will be done in this election. But please, please think of George before you cast your vote. He could have been one of the 40,444 instead of one of the 4,000.

I leave you with Psalm 139 (NASB)

1 O LORD, You have searched me and known me.

2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
You understand my thought from afar.

3 You scrutinize my path and my lying down,
And are intimately acquainted with all my ways.

4 Even before there is a word on my tongue,
Behold, O LORD, You know it all.

5 You have enclosed me behind and before,
And laid Your hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is too high, I cannot attain to it.

7 Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?

8 If I ascend to heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.

9 If I take the wings of the dawn,
If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea,

10 Even there Your hand will lead me,
And Your right hand will lay hold of me.

11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will overwhelm me,
And the light around me will be night,”

12 Even the darkness is not dark to You,
And the night is as bright as the day.
Darkness and light are alike to You.

13 For You formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother’s womb.

14 I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well.

15 My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;

16 Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Your book were all written
The days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was not one of them.

17 How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

18 If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand.
When I awake, I am still with You.

19 O that You would slay the wicked, O God;
Depart from me, therefore, men of bloodshed.

20 For they speak against You wickedly,
And Your enemies take Your name in vain.

21 Do I not hate those who hate You, O LORD?
And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?

22 I hate them with the utmost hatred;
They have become my enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me and know my anxious thoughts;

24 And see if there be any hurtful way in me,
And lead me in the everlasting way.

-W.S.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was just in wretched club and thought I'd check out your blog. I have a three year old with DS too, her name is Audrey. All the best to you and your family!

-Tulip

TUC said...

I'm a bit late to this post... but I have been wondering for so long what the real number of children like ours would be, if not for all those death sentences.

Wretched Sinner said...

TUC,
Thanks for stopping by. It's sad to think about it, isn't it?

Dawn Penguin said...

Hi, I got here following your link in the comments of "Remembering" about their child who "had the markers" but ended up being born without Down Syndrome... and would like to offer a slight modification to your summary.

"Summary: Over 40,000 children are murdered every year just b/c they have D.S."

My modification would make it:

Summary: Over 40,000 children are murdered every year just b/c they have A HIGHER RISK OF D.S. (without waiting to find out if they actually HAVE it or not)

God bless you and your family!

Lukas and Gretchen said...

Thank you so much for sharing this!! I wrote the post "Remembering" and I am so encouraged by your story! Blessings to you and your family.