Friday, June 12, 2009

New Logo - What do you think? & Why I did it.

Hopefully you have noticed the new logo/banner at the top of the site. I have been considering making a change for quite some time now but I just haven't had the time. But today I decided to just get it done. And here's why:

I created the previous logo when I launched the site well over a year ago. I put a lot of thought into the development of that logo. To me, it symbolized my sinfulness (the red lava like skin) calling out to my Savior to save me. In the logo, I attempted to symbolized Jesus as pure, holy, perfect, exalted (white, w/o blemish, elevated above me). And this is exactly where I failed, and it has been bothering me for some time.

What in the world was I thinking? I'm a wretched sinner, whose every work compared to His (from God's perspective) are like filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6), and I tried to somehow capture the essence of the Pure, Holy, Perfect, Loving & Righteous God in a logo? I mean, even if I was able to come up with it, can you even imagine what that would look like? Do you see how inaccurate it would be? I dare not make myself a graven image of the one true God, in order to make him my god. (Deut 4:16-18)

I just want to be clear on something. I'm not saying you can't paint a picture of Jesus, or you shouldn't wear a cross as a reminder of what Jesus did for you. But I am saying that we should be careful with those things. We should be careful anytime we try to capture the essence, character, or nature of God outside the bounds of scripture. When you make (or use) the image of Christ there is a very fine line between glorifying & blaspheming.

Like most of the "gray areas", it comes down to a matter of the heart. I prayer-fully searched my heart, and The Holy Spirit convicted me...I dare not ignore His conviction.

-W.S. (Mike)

No comments: